About us

History


1778
 
OmniChem's industrial roots date back to the XVIIIth century, when an industrialist of English origin, established in Antwerpen, obtained an authorization to set up a black powder manufacture on what is still one of OmniChem's production sites : Wetteren.
  
 
1946 
After the World War Two, this plant's activities switched progressively to the extraction of tannic acid and other extracts of vegetable origin.
 
 
 1975 
The production of synthetic intermediates and bulk actives for the pharmaceutical industry started with the construction of synthesis 1 in Wetteren.
  
 
1980
All industrial activities of Wetteren were combined with those of Omnium Chimique, a company based in Louvain-la-Neuve and specialized in alkaloids chemistry for the pharmaceutical industry. The new company name "OmniChem" was created.
  
 
1988
Nitration activities and production of agrochemical specialities of a plant located in Balen, were incorporated in OmniChem's operations.
 
  
1989
Further to the reorganization of chemical activities of the Société Générale de Belgique, to which it belonged, OmniChem was acquired by the Japanese group Ajinomoto Co. Inc.
  
 
1993
This year saw the first investment resulting from a collaboration between OmniChem and its mother company : a sterile production unit for amino-acids used in parenteral nutrition.
 
  
1996
Diversification of Balen site activities setting up the first production unit for Bulk Actives and Pharmaceutical Intermediates.
 
  
1998  
Major revamping of Louvain-La-Neuve facilities to allow handling of Highly Actives and Cytotoxics products under strict containment.
  
 
2004 
Further to some reorganization within the Ajinomoto group and incorporation of Ajinomoto’s AminoScience Division into OmniChem, a new company name was created : S.A. Ajinomoto OmniChem N.V.
  
 
2007 
Major expansion of Louvain-La-Neuve High Containment site with the commissioning of a Class V handling facility.